Sunday, July 30, 2006

Abreu to Yankess for minor leaguers

The rebuilding for next year has officially begun.

The Philadelphia Phillies have traded Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle to the New York Yankees for 20-year-old minor-league shortstop C.J. Henry (their No. 1 pick in 2005) and 27-year-old left-handed reliever Matt Smith, reports ESPN.

Abreu must approve the deal, but he has said he would play for the Yankees.

Earlier this week, the Phillies traded third baseman David Bell, but moving Abreu marks a big change for the future, as he frees up a lot of salary that the Phils can use elsewhere in the offseason.

As much as I liked Abreu and as good of a player he is, Philadelphia did the right thing in moving him because of his high salary. I am hoping that they will also move Burrell.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP