Sunday, April 29, 2007

Eagles make huge mistake in drafting a QB

The last time Philadelphia fans booed the Eagles front office for selecting a quarterback with its first pick, we ended up being way off in our opinion. We all know how that turned out.

This time, the boo’s were certainly warranted.

In the most shocking move of the first day of the 2007 NFL draft, the Eagles took quarterback Kevin Kolb out of Houston with the 36th overall pick.

Or should I say they wasted their pick.

In what is probably their deepest position with superstar Donovan McNabb and backups A.J. Feeley and Kelly Holcumb, the Eagles certainly did not need to take a quarterback, let alone take a quarterback this early, especially with glaring needs of depth on defense at safety and corner.

But they stuck to their draft the best player on the board philosophy. What they forgot to take into consideration is that they did not need a quarterback.

And not only that, but what really gets me is that the experts considered Colb a fourth round selection, yet the Eagles decided to make him a second round pick. They could have taken the likes of John Beck out of BYU or Drew Stanton out of Michigan State. Somehow, the Eagles actually had Kolb rated higher than Brady Quinn, whom many expected to go early in the first round.

So what message are the Eagles sending?

Andy Reid says there is no message, the McNabb is ahead of schedule in his rehab and that he is the quarterback. If this is in fact the case, then the Eagles spent a high pick on a guy who is going to sit on the bench for years to come.

My guess is that Reid fears McNabb will continue to get hurt and expects Kolb will step in within a couple of years.

I understand that at some point the Eagles need to groom a quarterback for the future. But not this early. They should have waited at least another two years.

The Eagles wasted a high pick on a need they did not have instead of filling a need they had on defense.

Another thing that gets me is that they traded their first round pick to the Cowboys of all teams. They could have taken linebacker Paul Posluszny out of Penn State or tight end Greg Olsen out of Miami.

I do like their third round pick, taking Tony Hunt out of Penn State to be the big back they have needed for years. But so far, I am not impressed otherwise.

Oh well, what is done is done.

But I can only sit here and wonder what in the world the Eagles were thinking.

They blew this pick.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP