Saturday, August 05, 2006

Phils get hot after trading away talent for very little

Bobby Abreu. David Bell. Cory Lidle. Sal Fasano.

All gone from Philadelphia courtesy of a lousy season and the trade deadline.

Yet somehow, the Phillies have caught fire and are only 2.5 games out of the wild card lead.

You have got to be kidding me.

Coming fresh off a sweep of the powerful St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia beat the first place New York Mets last night.

What in the world is going on? Too bad the Phillies got nothing in return for any trade they made, especially the deal with Abreu and Lidle going to the Yankees.

Is it possible Philadelphia could make a run at a playoff spot?

I will admit - the last couple of days a glimmer of hope has emerged in my mind. Anytime a Philadelphia gets close to any type of success, I can't help but hope. After all, the cities last title came in 1983.
But I know all too well how the story ends. Just as you think they have a shot, all hope is ripped out from your heart.

Without a doubt, the Phillies will stumble - and probably soon. With nine more games against the Mets this month, there is not a chance they will still be in the wild card hunt heading into September.

That is what logic and history tell me.

But I fan can hope, right?

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP