Sunday, September 17, 2006

Eagles, not Phillies, can't close the door

Today was a tale of two totally different outcomes for Philadelphia's football and baseball team.

The Phillies have been hanging out in second and third place in the NL wild card race. They have been winning some games but have not been able to close teams out to make a strong push for the wild card lead.

Both the Phillies and Eagles had chances today to close out their opponents. The Phillies did, the Eagles did not.

With wins on Friday and Saturday over the Houston Astros, the Phillies completed a three game sweep today, behind two home runs from catcher Mike Leiberthal. The win moves them to within one game of the Los Angeles Dodgers, who lost their division lead with a loss to San Diego today.

The Eagles on the other hand, had a 17 point lead over the New York Giants heading into the fourth quarter. Horrible execution, or lack there of, cost them the game and the chance to close out the Giants and take an early two game lead in the division.

It's funny, the Phillies are so close to a playoff spot, yet I am more bumed out today over the Eagles loss than I am excited about the Phillies win. You would think that any positive out of a Philadelphia team would excite me.

But there is something about the Eagles and all of the disappointments they have had this century. Maybe it is the fact that I don't expect much out of the Phillies. Year in and year out, they come up way short. I don't expect them to catch the wild card lead. And if they do, I don't expect them to hold onto it.

But I expect more from the Eagles. They blew those expectations today. They could not close the door, and it cost them.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP