Sunday, October 15, 2006

Mistakes kill Eagles

It was an inexcusable penalty that doomed the Eagles.

Late in a tie game, the Eagles sacked New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees on a 3rd and 10, to put the Saints out of field goal range. Everything looked great for the Eagles. But there were flags on the play and the Eagles were called for 12 men on the field.

Instead of a victory party all the way back to Philadelphia, it gave the Saints a 3rd and 5, which they connected on and led to a game winning field goal as time expired.

Rookie linebacker Omar Gaither should not have been on the field. "I didn't look over to the sidelines and the personnel call," said Gaither. "It's my fault. I didn't have enough awareness to know that we were getting out of 'dime' and going into 'Buffalo.' It was my fault. I didn't get off the field. We had too many men out there."

Great that the young man takes responsibility, but that is no excuse and it ended up costing the Eagles. But that was not the only downfall.

Michael Lewis was burned on a deep ball to Joe Horn to tie the game, right after a Philadelphia touchdown.

The Eagles trailed 17-3 at halftime - that cannot happen.

However, they came back with 21 unanswered points before the Saints again took control of the game.

There are a lot of questions surrounding this team. Can they run the ball effectively? Can they control the clock. Why does their defense allow so many yards and points? Can their offense continue to carry them? How much can Donovan McNabb actually do?

The Eagles need to answer these questions and fix these problems quickly. The way they played today, they are not a Super Bowl contender.


No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP