Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thoughts on an Ohio State/Michigan rematch

I can't help but root for controversy in the BCS, hoping year after year that it will push the NCAA to move to a playoff system.

One of these years, right?

For now, I am rooting for a rematch between the number one Buckeyes and number two Wolverines. This would cause a big stir among college football fans, many of whom do not want to see this happen.

If USC wins out, they will move into the second spot to play for a national title game, but they must first get by Notre Dame tonight.

But who should really be playing for a title?

In my opinion, there are only three deserving teams. The Buckeyes are clearly the best team and have already punched their ticket to Arizona. That leaves Michigan and USC.

The Trojans lost to unranked Oregon State and barely squeaked by Washington State and Washington. The Wolverines lost in a close game to Ohio State and won big at Notre Dame, who at the time was ranked second in the nation.

I give the edge to Notre Dame.

Which poses the question, should there be a rematch?

Many people would say no because these two teams just played and Michigan already had its shot. But what if they had played earlier in the season? This argument would not be there. It's not Michigan's fault they just played.

For a little while, I felt that Michigan did not win the big ten and that they do not deserve a shot at the title. After all, in professional sports, it is not always the best team who plays in the championship.

But this is not how the BCS is set up.

The goal is for the top two teams to play. And clearly, this is Ohio State and Michigan. That's pretty clear to me.

Tonight's game between USC and Notre Dame will tell a lot.

Personally, I am just rooting for controversy.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP