Saturday, December 09, 2006

Phils working on pitching

I must admit, I was really disappointed when Alfonso Soriano decided to sign with the Chicago Cubs. What can I say, having a stud like that to protect Ryan Howard in the lineup was really exciting.

But the Philles knew, as well as I did deep down, that pitching is what they really needed. Especially bullpen help. And they are well on the road to filling that need, and in the meantime added a sure thing to their starting rotation.

Without having to move centerfielder Aaron Rowand, the Philles traded for Freddy Garcia, who will join Rowand as two players who won the World Series just two years ago with the White Sox. It was believed Philadelphia would have to move Rowand to get a quality starter, but it instead took two young pitchers. Keeping the excellent defensive center fielder is a huge plus for the Phillies.

Now, with six quality starters, it looks as though the Phillies will move Jon Leiber for bullpen help. No big deal, Leiber was not that good anyway.

So as the season approaches, yes, I am still disappointed they did not add a big bat. But the real issue they had was pitching. Their rotation is looking good and within no time their bullpen will be looking good to.

With how quickly time is going, it will be time for pitchers and catchers to report before we know it.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP