Friday, April 20, 2007

College basketball suffering with players leaving early

While college basketball players move on to the NBA to make millions, the game of college basketball and its fans suffer.

With the likes of Greg Oden, Mike Conley Jr. and Daequan Cook headed to the NBA, the Ohio State Buckeyes will field a much differently looking team next season.

Is this really a good thing for college basketball?

I say no and here's why: I am not a big basketball fan and I am not and Ohio State fan. But I'll admit that watching the Buckeyes through the NCAA tournament, I couldn't help but cheer for OSU and grow a liking for their players. I got to know the team.

Now what happens? It's like starting over next year. I am not prone to follow the Buckeys from the start because I will not know to many of its players.

It is hard to imagine, but all three guys could have remained at Ohio State for three more years.

I understand why they are leaving and I am not saying the should not leave.

But it is the rule that allows them to leave that is no good. The rule changed to now allow a high schooler to declare for the draft to completing one year of college before declaring.

It is worse now. At least I did not develop a liking for LeBron Janes at Ohio State. But I did for Oden and Conley. I got a taste of their greatness and now they are gone. They do not have a connection with Ohio State. I likely will forget about them in the NBA.

Look at the top college basketball teams and where they are - Ohio State, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. These towns are college basketball towns. They do not have NBA teams close by. These players that leave early will be forgotten.

It's just not right for the game of college basketball or its fans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP