Friday, April 17, 2009

Flyers lack passion


The Flyers looked a lot like my seven year old's soccer team - lot's of standing around and not being aggressive.

In a huge game that would either see the Flyers tie the first round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins or go down a daunting 0-2, the Flyers sat back after getting a lead and did not go for the kill.

It cost them as the Penguins tied the game with a little over three minutes remaining.

Then in overtime, the Flyers reverted back to their lack of discipline, taking two straight penalties, leading to a five-on-three goal to end the game.

Frustrating.

The Flyers look tired, like they have run out of gas. Pittsburgh wants it more and it shows.

Philadelphia had chances to put the game away after taking a 2-1 lead. Combined with their lack of killer instinct and a few great opportunities turned away by Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, they just could not pull away.

A bad call against Jeff Carter put the Penguins on the power-play with under four minutes left. Pittsburgh's Jordal Staal, driving for the net, put Carter's stick under his arm and pulled it toward him. Carter was called for hooking.

It cost the Flyers and now they find themselves down 0-2 in the best-of-seven series.

Put a fork in the Flyers, they are done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I did not get to see the game I did get to listen to the overtime period on the radio. I thought if we won we have a shot and if we lose we are all done. As I listened it sounded like the Fly guys were doing pretty well until the two penalities that put them down 5 on 3. Then the dreaded moment came. The Penquins won. See ya next year Flyers.

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP