Saturday, April 11, 2009

Nervous over Phillies start

It's only four games, but why am I getting nervous that the Phillies have looked terrible?

I know, I know - there are 158 games remaining and it is a loooong season. But every win counts. And with the Mets' improvements to their bullpen and how the Braves and Marlins playing, it is probably going to take more than 95 wins to make the playoffs.

So while it is early, I know that every win gets the Phillies one closer to the number they will need to get to.

The Phils are only hitting .215 as a team. Five of their eight starters are hitting .200 or under. That's terrible. They have two home runs. Not so good for a power hitting team.

Even scarier is that their pitching has been worse. Every starter minus Chan Ho Park (who has not yet pitched) has been rocked. Cole Hamels, their ace, did not even make it through four innings yesterday, allowing seven runs in a loss to the Rockies.

The team ERA is an astronomical 7.46. Not one starter has an ERA under 6.00.

I don't know why I expected them to get off to a good start. They never do.

But this is ridiculous. Not one aspect of their game is clicking.

And their on only win (12-11 over the Braves) was a gift, as they rallied from a 10-3deficite on five bases-loaded walks in the seventh inning.

It's still early, but the Phillies need to get on track and they need to do it soon.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP