Monday, September 28, 2009

High Hopes heading into MLB playoffs


Going into the playoffs last year I had extremely high hopes but very low expectations for the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Phillies had gone 28 years without a championship and beyond the title they won when I was a baby, the only true excitement they provided in my lifetime was a trip to the World Series in 1993. Of coarse, that ended with disappointment as every other Phillies season had.

But the Phillies wrote a new ending last year, winning the first championship for any major sports team in Philadelphia that I was able to experience (the Sixers won the NBA Championship when I was three).

As far as sports go, it was the best day of my life as a fan. The excitement was amazing, the feeling different than I had ever had. It was hard to believe.

After driving 7 1/2 hours back to Philadelphia the next day, standing on Broad Street for the parade the day after that was a dream come true.

The Phillies had won a World Championship. I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming.

This year has a different feeling. I know what it is like to experience the joy of your team winning a title.

I tasted success and I loved it. Now I want more.

So heading into the playoffs this year I once again have high hopes. But this time I have high expectations.

Sure, the doubt I have had every year for every Philadelphia team is still a part of how I feel. One title in all of these years does not make that feeling just go away.

But they are the defending champs. Nothing less than another title will be considered a success.

Expectations are a funny thing. I can logically know that the odds of the Phillies repeating as champs are slim. The last National League team to accomplish this feat was in the 1970's.

However, the overriding emotion is one of hope, desire, and expectation for them to repeat.

Once you get the taste of something good, you want more. Nothing less than another championship will be satisfying to me.

The playoffs are just around the corner. For the first time in my life not only are the hopes high, but the expectations are even greater.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP