Friday, November 13, 2009

Only one move could make Phils 2010 favorites

The Philadelphia Phillies have a couple of obvious holes to fill this off season - third base and the bullpen. But there is only ONE major move they can make that would all but guarantee another shot at winning a World Series.

Bring out the old rumors because it's time to talk about Roy Halladay. Before you roll your eyes and tell me to move on, hear me out.

Considered by many to be the favorites to land the Blue Jays ace at the trade deadline, a deal for Halladay was too expensive for the Phillies. Instead, they made a much better long term deal, giving up a lot less and signing Cliff Lee, who had a spectacular start in a Phillies uniform and pitched like an ace in the playoffs.

Despite Lee's two wins in the World Series, the Phillies lost to the Yankees for one reason - starting pitching. CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett, and Andy Pettitte out pitched Lee, Cole Hamels, Pedro Martinez, and Joe Blanton.

Yes, I know Phillies closer Brad Lidge blew a game. And I know third baseman Pedro Feliz was useless minus a game tying home run in game 4. And yes, the Phillies need to improve these two areas.

But by-in-large, the Phillies did not lose to the Yankees because of their bullpen or Feliz.

By going into next season with the same rotation (likely minus Martinez), the Phillies are taking a big chance.

Sure, Hamels could pitch like he did in 2008 when he earned NLCS and World Series MVP's on the way to a championship. But the big word there is could. What if he does not get back to being an ace? The Phillies will be in the same situation they were this year.

Charlie Manual shuffled Blanton and JA Happ between the rotation and bullpen during the playoffs. That speaks measures for what he thought about his rotation.

So ask yourself, if the Phillies sign a third baseman that hits better than Feliz and if they sign a couple of good relievers, are you sure they could beat the Yankees or Red Sox in the World Series? I sure am not.

This is where the importance comes in of adding another strong pitcher.

Imagine a playoff rotation that consists of Halladay, Lee, and Hamels. Now are you sure they could beat the Yankees or Red Sox? I sure am.

At this point, I don't know what Halladay would cost, but it can't be as much as it did during the season. Halladay will be a free agent after the season.

The Jays still might ask for pitching prospect Kyle Drabek in a deal. If the Phillies can sign Halladay to an extension as part of the trade, I'd do it.

Are you still rolling your eyes?

Do I think this deal is going to happen? No, I do not.

But do I think it should happen? Absolutely.

Lee, Hamels, Happ, or Halladay, Lee, Hamels?

Need I say more?

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP