Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dawkins return to Philly will be emotional


I've always held to the notion that a sports fan should be a fan of the team over any individual player. Players come and go, but the team is always there.

This rule does not apply to Brian Dawkins.

As we approach the return of Dawkins to Philadelphia as a Denver Bronco, I find myself more excited about him being back in Philly than the game itself.

Don't get me wrong, once the game starts I am certainly not going to be rooting for Dawkins to clock Donovan McNabb on a blitz. It's a big game for the Eagles and a win and Minnesota Vikings loss would put the Eagles in second place in the NFC.

But this game is different. It's special.

I'll never forget the day Dawkins signed with Denver. As rumors were swirling my heart began to sink. I had always assumed Dawkins, who played for the Eagles for 13 years, would retire in midnight green.

It was one of the worst days of my life as a fan when the signing became official. It just did not seem right. It didn't seem real.

The man was a staple to the Eagles defense. He made big plays. He was a leader. He was the heart and soul of the team. He was an icon.

In my mind and heart, he will always be an Eagles icon.

And I cannot wait to see him play this weekend.

It was reported that the Broncos defense will be introduced prior to the game this weekend. I can only imagine the reception Dawkins will receive when his name is called. He always did receive the biggest ovation for his intense introduction. It always pumped the fans up.

Dawkins will be wearing the wrong color this weekend and it will be painful to see him going against the Eagles.

But no matter what, he will always have my respect. He played the game hard, went all-out all of the time, and was a leader.

For that, Dawkins will always be one of my all-time favorite Eagles.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP