Saturday, January 23, 2010

NFL's best week is championship Sunday

Unlike the other major sports, the NFL's championship game loses a lot of luster because of its corporate feel and neutral location.

Because of this, the best week of the season is championship week, where the best teams in the AFC and NFC play for a right to go to the Super Bowl.

People don't watch the AFC or NFC Championship games for commercials. They don't watch just because every one else does.

No, this Sunday is all about football. It's about a stadium being full of passionate fans, all with one goal in mind - for their team to make it to the Super Bowl.

It is not a corporate event and instead of looking forward to commercials, fans dread having to wait to find out what happens next in the game.

I vividly remember every single Eagles NFC Championship game.

The anticipation leading up to the games was huge. The crowds were nuts. My stomach was in knots for every second of every single one of those games.

As the NFC Championship game loses mounted year after year, I remember the Eagles going into the 2004 conference championship game against Michael Vick and the Atlanta Falcons.

My thoughts raced as I wondered how they would stop Vick and how they would avoid stopping themselves yet again.

As Chad Lewis caught his second TD of the game and I knew they would finally win one, it was the best football moment of my life.

In fact, I'd put it as my second best sports moment of all time right behind the Phillies winning the World Series in 2008.

Yes, the Super Bowl decides the championships.

But people don't get together for parties just to get together during the conference championship games.

No, tomorrow is all about football.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP