Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Want a huge raise? No problem, play baseball

Would you ever consider walking into your bosses office and asking for a 426% raise? How about an 87% raise? 83% raise?

I didn't think so.

What is not even close to realistic in the "real world" is perfectly normal in the world of Major League Baseball's arbitration process.

Three Phillies players are in line for huge raises.

Catcher Carlos Ruiz, who made $475,000 last season is asking for $2.5 million. Pitcher Joe Blanton, who made $5.475 million last season, is asking for $10.25 million. Centerfielder Shane Victorino, who made $3.175 million last year, is asking for $5.8 million.

While the Phillies brass does not agree with the raises the players have proposed, what they are offering is still pretty hefty.

The Phillies have offered Ruiz $1.7 million, Blanton $7.5 million, and Victorino $4.75 million.

Not too shabby. I'm lucky to get a 2.5% raise.

While the team and players can continue to negotiate and work out a deal, an arbitrator will eventually hear the cases from both sides if a deal is not agreed upon. The arbitrator would then choose a "winner" and select either the players figure or team's figure.

Either way, all three will be getting a handsome raise.

Now, only if I could figure out how to ask my boss for a similar raise.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP