Sunday, October 22, 2006

Flyers GM, coach gone - finally

I guess I should watch what I write. Just two days after calling for Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock to be fired, he was let go by the struggling club. General Manager Bob Clarke is also out, resigning after being unsuccesful in bringing a championship to Philadelphia.

There is one comment Clarke made at this mornings press conference that really bothers me.

"I just don't have the desire to do what this job requires," he said. "I was tired of doing it."

Then why in the world was he here to begin the season?

This could not be a feeling he had all of the sudden. This is a feeling that builds over time.

"I don't know what happened. I don't know why it happened," he continued. "I would have never thought I'd get tired or burnt out or something. But this is what's happened. I've got to try and figure out why and how."

Forget about trying to figure out why or how. He needs to get away from this team.

I don't want him around anymore and the Flyers should not either.

Hey, I understand getting burnt out, it happens. But don't stick around if you are burnt out.

The Flyers should have gotten rid of Clarke a long time ago. I am glad owner Ed Snider had the guts to go it now after their pitiful 1-6-1 start. They needed a change on the bench and at the helm.

I have to question the moves though of making their assistant coach, John Stevens, and assistant GM, Paul Holmgren, into the coach and GM, respectively. Will there really be much change? Although, I'm sure there were not a lot of options out there.

Oh well, what's done is done. And it was the right thing to do.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP