Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Disappointment comes along with being a Philly fan

Being a Philadelphia fan, there is one thing you have to sign up for year in and year out - utter disappointment.

Miserable seasons, year's of hope ending in brutal disappointment - it's all part of the life of a Philadelphian.

Yet, the fans keep lining up and coming back for more. A Philadelphia team has to win a championship one of these years, right? It's been 23 years since the city of brotherly love had a tite, when the Sixers won the NBA Championship. The Phillies last won the World Series in 1980, and the Eagles have never won a Super Bowl.

Being that I was born in 1980, I don't know what it is like to have a winner. Sure, I know how it feels to come close.

I watched as Joe Carter hit a walk-off homer in game six of the World Series off of Mitch Williams. I watched as the Flyers were swept by Detroit in the Stanley Cup Finals. I watched the Eagles lose three straight NFC Championships.

But every once in a while, something truly exciting happens that makes it all worth it. I have had two of those moments in my life.

The first came in 1993. Heading into an NLCS against the heavily favored Atlanta Braves, the Phillies won the first game in dramatic fashion, a 10th inning hit down the left field line. They went on to win the pennant in six games. What a night that was. Who would have thought after they finished in last place the year before.

But the most excitement I have ever had when it comes to Philadelphia sports teams was in 2005. The Eagles had lost three heart-breaking NFC games in a row. Heading into the title game against Atlanta, it was hard not to remember back to the past three years.

But alas, the story turned out differently that year. Of coarse, the Eagles lost in the Super Bowl. But for that one day, they were on top of the world. I was on top of the world.

And here is a look back at that magical day...

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP