Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Is the Eagles record telling of the season they are having?

Will the real Philadelphia Eagles please stand up.

One week it is a big blowout win, then the next a terrible loss.

The Eagles started 4-1, then tanked in the next three games. Following the bye week, Philadelphia pounced on the Washington Redskins.

So how good, or bad, are the Eagles? Maybe their 5-4 record is really not telling of the kind of year they have had.

Consider this - in their five wins, the Eagles have won by an average of 17.6 points. Their four loses have been by an average of 4.5 points. That's not a lot.

We also have to consider that three of the four losses have come on the final play of the game. They lost in OT to the Giants, in a game they should have won. Then they lost to the Saints on a last second field goal, and a 62-yard last second field goal to Tampa. The only game the Eagles lost soundly was a 13-6 defeat at the hands of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

So why does it seem like the Eagles have struggled so much this season?

Maybe it was the three game losing streak. Maybe it is because of how they lost.

In looking at the NFC, I see a conference that the Eagles can compete with. Even in the NFC East, I see a division that is for the taking.

The Giants currently lead the East, one game ahead of the Eagles. There are only four teams in the NFC with more wins than the Eagles. Three other teams have five wins, along with Philadelphia.

So what does this mean?

It means that the Eagles have a great shot at making the playoffs. Honestly, there is not a team in the NFC that I look at and say the Eagles cannot beat. Sure, the Bears are tough. But their offense is not spectacular. Seattle is tough. But beyond that, nobody else really impresses me.

I look at how good the Eagles have been at times this year. They have a very tough schedule down the stretch, but if they play well, I can see the Eagles going a long way.

It's up to the players now.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP