Sunday, January 14, 2007

Emotions sway during disappointing loss

It never gets any easier to digest an Eagles loss - especially when it ends a season.

Once again, the Eagles came up short in what looked to be a team that could make a run at the Super Bowl.

In a game of up and down emotions, it ended on a very depressing feeling with a 27-24 Saints win.

The last few minutes of the game provided some of the most back-and-forth feelings I have ever experienced during an Eagles game.

The first feeling was low when it looked like the Saints were going to run out the clock.

Then there was pure jubulation when Reggie Bush fumbled a pitch and the Eagles covered the fumble.

Frustration followed when the Eagles failed to move the ball on three consecutive plays. Complete nervousness set in as the Eagles lined up for a 4th and 10 play.

Once again, there was excitment when the Eagles converted that play, only to be extremely let down when I realized they were called for a false start.

Then anger set in when Andy Reid elected to punt the ball and disappointment as the Saints got a first down and ran out the clock.

That's a lot of emotions in a short period of time.

But as has happened ever since I was born, the final feeling to an Eagles season is not one of joy.

I had a restless sleep and a thoughtful day of what iff's.

What if the Eagles had played better against the run.

What if they scored a touchdown instead of having to settle for a field goal in the fourth quarter after having a first and goal.

What if they were able to move the ball after recovering the fumble late in the game.

What if Shawn Andrews was not injured and his replacement Scott Young, who was called for the false start, had not been playing.

What if Andy Reid had not elected to punt. Could the Eagles have converted on a 4th and 15?

So many what iff's. And as usual, that's all I am left with.

And of coarse, I am left with the normal January feeling of maybe next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:(

A lot of what if's indeed.,

Here is to next year!!!

Love you :)

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP