Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday's take on the Phils getting Halladay

With only five days left until the trade deadline, he is my take:

The Jays have to move Roy Halladay right now. His value will never be this high again - not in the offseaon and not at next year's trade deadline. Toronto is not going to win this year or next and it would be in their best interest to move him now while they can get max value and build for the future. Halladay has already said he will test the free agent market after next season.

The problem for the Jays is that other teams know this is when the Jays will get max value. And because they know that, they don't want to pay the high price they are trying to get. They don't need to.

The Jays GM said a deal is unlikely. I don't buy it, not one bit. Holding on to Halladay at this point would be plain dumb. He is just trying to drive up the price and have someone bite. Nobody has to this point. I can't blame him though. There is the hope someone will get desperate and do the deal on the Jays terms.

They have not come down in value at all, but should this thing get later in the week and nobody has made the deal yet, they will be forced to come down some.

Don't get me wrong, it will still take a lot to land Halladay - he is an ace. But it is not going to take as much as Toronto is currently asking for.

The only chance teams take now is another team getting desperate and making a deal. Beyond that, it behooves this other teams to sit tight and wait for the price to come down.

In my eyes, it is a big risk to take in waiting. But timing will be everything. There is a balance between waiting for the right deal but not waiting too long.

The Phillies have to make this deal and they are willing to make a deal. With the prospects they have and their financial situation, they are the best fit. They just need to wait for the right price.

Don't be fooled, the Jays need the Phillies just as much as the Phillies need the Jays.

My gut still tells me either he goes to Anaheim or another team swoops in and gets him.

As hard as it is to wait and as much as I just want the Phils to trade whatever they need to in getting Halladay, they are playing smart by waiting this thing out.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP