Thursday, December 03, 2009

Polanco not much of an upgrade


While Placido Polanco adds a different look to the Phillies lineup, I'm not so sure it is much of an upgrade over Pedro Feliz.

Positives:
- Won a gold glove last year, albeit at second base
- Contact hitter in a lineup that strikes out way too much. Over his career, Polanco strikes out only once every 15.39 at-bats. That is second best among active players.
- Career .303 hitter, while Feliz is a career .254 hitter

Negatives:
- Polanco's batting average, on base percentage, and slugging percentage have declined over the past three years. He's gone from hitting .341 to .307 to .285
- 34 years old and the Phillies will be stuck with his contract for three years.
- Has not played third base since 2005. Feliz is better defensively at third

Overall, there really was not much out there for the Phillies. Chone Figgins was the best free agent option but the Phillies did not have the money to pay him. Mark DeRosa's name was thrown out there, but he is more of a super utility man. There was also Adrian Beltre, who is a few years younger than Polanco. However, Beltre strikes out a lot more.

In the end, Polonco is comparable to Feliz. They lose a little in defense, but gain a little in offense.

I can't say I'm excited about this move as it does not put the Phillies on the same level with the Yankees.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP