Saturday, April 23, 2011

Howard makes most of key situation

It's not about what you do over the course of a game.  What matters most is what you do in key situations.

All night, Ryan Howard was terrible, striking out in his first four at bats.

But in the top of the 11th inning, Howard hit a rocket to left field, scoring two on a double, and giving the Phillies a 4-2 lead over the San Diego Padres.

The win is the Phillies tenth in a row in Petco Park.

The Padres actually intentionally walked Jimmy Rollins to get to Howard. 

It backfired.

Ryan Madson came on to record his second consecutive save in as many nights.

The Phillies had a few bright spots on the mound tonight.  Joe Blanton pitched seven solid innings, only allowing two runs.  Denny Baez, Antonio Bastardo, and Kyle Kendrick all pitched scoreless innings. 

Yes, you heard that correctly - Baez and Kendrick pitched scoreless innings.  I know - amazing.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP