Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Refs out to get Flyers

I hate the Sabres.

This is what happens the further you get into an NHL playoff series.

I'm a homer, I know that.

But in these eyes, it is the world against the Flyers.

The Sabres got away with all kinds of stuff in tonight's 1-0 win that tied the series at two.

But the biggest controversy of the night rests in the hands of an unbelievable call in the second period.

With three seconds remaining in the period, Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta took a run at Mike Richards, who was against the boards.

Richards, trying to protect himself, got his elbow up a little high and hit Kaleta in the face.

A five minute major was called.

It was one of the most ridiculous calls I have ever seen.

Richards was standing still.  He was not taking a run at Kaleta.

Did he get his elbow up?  Yes. 

Fine, call two minutes.

But it was not a vicious hit.  Definitely not a five minute major.

Amazingly, the Flyers only allowed two shots on the ensuing power play and held the game at 1-0.

For the second time this series, they could not solve Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller.  He reminded me of Martin Brodeur in his prime - no matter what the Flyers did they could not solve him.

Frustrating to say the least.

No comments:

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP