Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Clemens contract is absurd

The amount of money Roger Clemens is making is absolutely ridiculous.

While The Rocket is one of the best pitchers of all time and most likely will have a big impact on the New York Yankees, there comes a time when enough is enough.

I am talking about 28 million for one year. That comes out to over $150,000 per day and about $6,000 an hour.

And all of this for pitching every fifth day.

George Steinbrenner does not often hold back in spending money. But he has outdone himself this time. Nobody deserves this kind of money.

This much money is unheard of. Even Alex Rodriguez, an every day player, does not make this much per year.

Rodriguez signed a contract unheard of seven years ago, worth $250 million over 10 years. But that only comes out to $25,000 per year.

Keep in mind Rodriguez plays about 140 games a year while Clemens would start about 30 games in a year.

Oh, and Clemens is not pitching the whole year. He is due back in the beginning on June. He will make 18 million this season.

Not bad for a guy who has not pitched since last September.

Clemens will also have the freedom to not always travel with the team.

I guess when you are as good as Clemens you get your way.

The only thing is that Clemens is 45 years old. My guess is that he will not be worth as much money as he will make.

Enough is enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, really. He's a clown. I really hope he gets hurt. Not that wishing injury on someone is a good thing, but it's to the point where watching him pitch is insulting to us fans. Combine that with how selfish he is, not travelling with the team or playing a whole year, and I really hope he goes down.

About This Blog

Born and raised right outside of Philadelphia, I am a passionate Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers fan. This blog takes my passion of sports and writing and combines them into "Out of Bounds."
Out of Bounds

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Warminster, PA. I am married to Veronica and we have three children, Brianna, Katie, and Alex. I work at Ashland Distribution as a Customer Service Supervisor.

Writing career

I've written professionally for The Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, PA. I was also a Sports Writer, Sports Editor, and Managing Editor at The Voice (Bloomsburg college paper).
Out of Bounds

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP